A sweet spin on the classic bourbon drink
Bartenders and mixologists inarguably make the world a better place. Seriously, if we limited ourselves to just the standar fare of cocktail recipes … we’re yawning just thinking about it.
If you’ve followed 1792 Style, or drunk our companion bourbon, for any amount of time, you know we love a new take on the Old Fashioned. One member of our team likes his so sweet, a regular recipe won’t do. When our friend Jason Plummer, also known as Barrel-Aged Dad, shared his Butter Pecan Old Fashioned recipe with us for our holiday style guide a few years ago, that problem was solved.
According to Plummer, butter washing adds an earthy sweetness to the spice of our high rye bourbon while the roasted pecans serve to bring out the nutty aroma and caramel and vanilla notes of the bourbon. Add the amaro and you have both complexity and balance.
You can find Barrel Aged Dad on Instagram.
BUTTER PECAN OLD FASHIONED INGREDIENTS
- 1 oz. 1792 Bourbon
- 3/4 oz. butter pecan infused 1792 Bourbon
- 1/2 oz. medium amaro
- 1/2 oz. demerara syrup
- 2 dashes bitters
BUTTER PECAN OLD FASHIONED INSTRUCTIONS
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass.
- Stir and strain over a King cube into a chilled rocks glass.
- Garnish with orange and lemon zest.
1792 BOURBON INFUSION
- Roast 6-8 oz. pecans on a baking sheet at 350 degrees until golden.
- Combine 1 stick unsalted butter, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract and a pinch of salt in a large pot. Melt ingredients.
- Reduce to low heat, add roasted pecans and (1) 750ml bottle of 1792 Bourbon.
- Stir to combine, then turn off heat and let cool.
- Cover pot and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Strain with cheesecloth. Bottle infusion and store in the refrigerator.