For when you want something with a kick
There are times when you want a cocktail that’s silky smooth and there are times when you want something that’s got a kick. The Old Pepper is for when you want something that’s got more of a kick.
A recipe originally created at the New York speakeasy Milk and Honey, it’s got a base of sweet turbinado flavor punctuated by a hit of hot sauce and a few dashes of Worcestershire. If you could take a southern summer night and put it in a glass, it would probably taste something like this.
Old Pepper Cocktail Syrup Ingredients:
- 1 cup Sugar in the Raw turbinado
- 1/2 cup water
Old Pepper Cocktail Ingredients:
- 1½ oz. 1792 Bourbon
- ¾ oz. Turbinado Syrup
- ½ oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ oz. Crystal hot sauce
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- Garnish: 1 chile de arbol
Old Pepper Cocktail Syrup Directions:
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and stir occasionally.
- Reduce heat and simmer until sugar is dissolved and syrup has formed.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
Old Pepper Cocktail Directions:
- Add ingredients (except for chile garnish) to a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake until cold.
- Strain into an ice-filled glass and garnish with chile.