The Official Drink of the Preakness Stakes is good all summer long
The Black-eyed Susan is to the Preakness Stakes as the Mint Julep is to the Kentucky Derby. Named after Maryland’s state flower, it calls for two kinds of juice and two kinds of liquor, so when it comes to serving … better stick to just one. It’s fresh, a little sweet, a little sour, and hands-down our drink of choice for catching up on summer nights.
The Black Eyed Susan Cocktail Ingredients:
- 1 oz 1792 Bourbon
- 1 oz Wheatley Vodka
- 1 oz pineapple juice (best if fresh)
- 2 oz orange juice (best if fresh)
- 2 oz sour mix
- Orange slice and a maraschino cherry for garnish
The Black Eyed Susan Cocktail Directions:
- Combine 1792 Bourbon, Wheatley Vodka, juices, and sour mix in a shaker with ice.
- Shake until cold and strain into a tall glass over ice.
- Garnish with cherry and orange slice.
Editor’s Note: Top photo by Luca Bravo on Unsplash; Cocktail photo by Corina Rainer on Unsplash